Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Oatmeal for Breakfast

I am exploring my options as far as ways to start the day. My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. I am not a morning person, so having a good breakfast seems to make everything okay.

Besides helping me out of a half conscious state in the morning, breakfast has health benefits, including weight control and improved performance.

Studies show that eating a healthy breakfast can help give you:

  • A more nutritionally complete diet
  • Improved concentration and performance
  • More strength and endurance to engage in physical activity
  • Lower cholesterol levels
These all seem to line up with my healthy living quest. So a healthy breakfast is how I will start my day. I have decided on Oatmeal. Not the kind that comes in the little packages and different flavors. Those are extremely high in sugar...not to mention extremely high in flavor.



I will be having some good old fashion plain Quaker Oats. Remember I am trying to eat most things as close to its natural state as possible.

Preparation goes as follows:

Boil 1/2 cup of water
Stir in 3/4 cup of oats
Boil on medium for 1 minute



Since plain oatmeal is extremely bland I added blueberries. I also added one scoop of vanilla protein powder. I read in a study that women who added a source of protein to their breakfast lost more weight than those who didn't. I am hoping with the protein and the oatmeal, I feel full longer.

Besides keeping me full longer, I found many benefits to eating oatmeal. These benefits include:

• Good source of fiber
• Cancer fighting
• Reduces cholesterol
• Good source of vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese and magnesium
• Good source of protein

I love that I found a breakfast that is so satisfying and tasty and at the same time is so good for me! So here's to eating breakfast and oatmeal!

*I will revisit this breakfast choice in one week and see how it has made me feel.

3 comments:

  1. Oatmeal is the best! You can also add honey, bananas, cherries, or a scoop of vanilla yogurt and granola.

    If you are on the go, I can give you a recipe for a low fat/healthy oatmeal bar that I make for Jaime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! I would love the recipe...send it my way! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat oatmeal a lot in the winter, so good for you! I love your blog, it is good to know that other new moms are trying to stay healthy and have energy, for their baby and themselves!

    ReplyDelete